Sunday, January 29, 2017

Like Mother, Like Daughter

I usually don't post on here until I have tons of pictures, but I have a story that needs to be told so that some day my oldest can read this and laugh when her own daughter passes out at the doctor.

First off, we are a family of fainters.  One of my first memories is at the doctor for some kind of check up and getting my finger poked.  I immediately puked and passed out almost simultaneously.  If I remember right, I even puked on a nurse.  
I even faint over stories.  
One of my sisters is worse than me (had a seizure at the dentist bad because of a needle bad) and one of my sisters is better than me (although she passed out after getting her ears pierced).  
My oldest daughter has taken after me from the start, sadly.  One day in Sunbeams or CTR4 they brought her to me after she threw up, thinking she was sick.  I brought her home and cleaned her up and she was full of energy and did not seem sick at all.  After some interrogation, she told me they were talking about something gross and she threw up.  Then later in life she was at the doctor getting blood drawn and I saw the signs of fainting (yawning, sweaty skin, pale) and told the nurse, "You have to stop!  She is going to puke and faint!"  They stopped and I ran her to the bathroom where she puked and fainted almost at the same time.  

After all this you would think I would be wiser and the following story wouldn't have happened, but apparently I haven't learned my lesson yet.

So last week my daughter had her yearly check-up and got the flu shot at the end.  Usually we all do the mist because we don't like shots and seriously when there is the option to not get a shot,who chooses the shot option?

So it had been a while since my daughter had gotten a shot but the doctor had given her a sucker and she said she was fine.  I even told the nurse, "She's a fainter, but its just a shot."  

We are moving this summer so we proceeded across the building and down some stairs to get transfer papers for our records.  I  was talking to the lady at the counter when we heard a BANG!  I look over and Ally is slumped on the floor against a concrete beam totally out of it, but chewing on her sucker.  I thought that was odd.  I tried to get her up (she is heavy and was too limp) and tried to talk to her.  Did I mention the three-year-old was with us?  Add that to your mental image.  Meanwhile, the lady at the counter is screaming, "We need to call Medical Alert!  We need to call Medical Alert."  I said quite calmly, "Its OK, she just got a shot and she is a fainter."  

Then I went back to trying to figure out if my daughter is OK.  The lady did not take that and I think she had to have my permission to call Medical Alert because she kept screaming and then three other ladies in the office came out and starting screaming with her.  Finally I said, "Fine, call them."  I got my daughter to finally respond and got her up and into a chair.  Her skin was icy cold, but covered in sweat.  Then she almost puked.  
Medical alert people came (there were like 10 people standing around her).  Then they got her in a wheel chair, checked her for a concussion (she did fall into a concrete beam) and sent us back up to pediatrics.  
The doctor checked her blood pressure, gave her Kool Aid and crackers (which she didn't want), and gave her a ice pack.  
She was miserable.  She hates attention, especially when she gets hurt, and just wanted to get home.  Finally, I just said, "We're going home." and we left.  Then she slept on the couch for 1/2 hour and spent the rest of the night puking whenever she ate something (three times if you want an exact number).  

The next day she told me, "I'd rather die than get a shot."  To be completely honest I think it might be more beneficial for her health to only get completely necessary shots and blood work from now on.

The lesson we learned though is she lays down for all shots and blood work and we wait 1/2 hour until we leave.  

I told this story to a friend who is a nurse and she said, "She needs sugar after a shot."  I told her, "She was eating a sucker as she fainted!"
  

No comments: