Monday, September 8, 2014

The Family Introvert

The last two weeks have been illuminating for me.  I feel like I get to know my children every day and learn something new about them, but I have learned a lot of new things about MC2 recently.  

He started school two weeks ago.  First he had a home visit where the teacher and an aid come to our house to chat and fill out some papers with us and make the kid feel more comfortable around them.  MC2 spent the visit acting like he has autism.  He laid on my lap with his head buried in my shoulder and would occasionally scream, "Snake!"  Meanwhile I'm trying to peal him off and talk to the teacher who is giggling nervously like, "I have to have this kid in my class?"

Then we had a "Glimpse" day where MC2 and I went to bring in his school supplies, explore the classroom, and again get more comfortable.  But when it was time to leave he said he didn't want to go.  I got my shoes on and went out the door so he finally came with me.  Then he refused to get out of the van when we go to school so I pulled him out and started walking in.  Oh, and the baby was with us.  So MC2 follows me crying into the school and into his classroom.  Where he buries his head in my legs and cries.  The teacher was super scared at this point.  So an aid took the baby and I tried to talk MC2 down.  

Finally I just started to put his school supplies away and he started to help a little but would not ever be farther than a foot away from me.  Then he noticed some toys in the room.  "Mom, there are toys here."  Yes, there are toys!  Then he was fine.  He did an art project, hugged one of the aids, played on the playground, found where he hangs his backpack, etc.  

Then the next day was playgroup so my friend took him to school and he was great.  He just went with her. Then when I went to get him at the end of the day he was sobbing.  I asked the teacher if he had been crying all day.  "Oh, no," she said.  "He's just crying because he wants to ride the bus home."  
        Then every day since he has gotten up and said, "I'm not going to school today.  I'm just going to go home." But when our car pool buddy comes to get him he goes with he.  Thursday our car pool buddy went on a trip so I had to drive him, but he went because I drove his friend too.  Then Friday I took him by myself and it was a disaster.  He refused to leave the house and I had to walk out again without him to get him to come.  Then when I tried to drop him off he flipped out and almost choked on his granola bar.  I told him if he stayed home he would have to take a nap.  He said he was tired and he would love a nap.  I promised all sorts of things if he went and he did not care.  Finally I walked him to his classroom and sat down to read a book to the baby.  The teacher said maybe he could just have a day off.  I told her if we went home then he would never come back again because he would know that he could just do this every day.  

So finally they told me to leave.  I told them to call me if it got worse.  When I came to get him he was happy and smiling, but he had cried for 35 minutes until it was time for recess.  
I asked him what had happened earlier to make him so sad, but he said, "Mom, I not sad, I happy."


So I feel like preschool is going to be a battle, but with all day kindergarten looming next year it is necessary.  I've decided MC2 is just the family introvert.  He loves being at home, playing with his cars.  But he's going to have to break out of his shell and socialize.
GC1 did this with her toys and begged for me to take her picture.

One night MC2 refused to get his pajamas on so Brent got them on instead.  I can't believe he got them on this well.


MC2 cried, but the other kids thought it was great!
The Baby is starting to get into a lot of things.

I'm just glad she's occupying herself and I can get things done.

Its starting to get cold so these two were both wearing footsie pajamas and the Girl Child NEEDED a picture of it.
Then we had to have a photography session.








We even got Cinnamon.

So here is to a better week than the last two.

2 comments:

T.M. said...

Nice Jams...Good idea. They probably will never fit the same now but then again, he will grow into them...Tim Miner

Marci Jensen Stoffer said...

Thanks for this post. I had a good chuckle. Love MC2's reaction to school. Pretty much the opposite of Stella.