The Girl Child loves art projects right now. She is constantly working on them and LOVES to color boxes. Here she is in the act.
She recently (today) lost all her coloring things though because she colored on the table and the desk.
I was determined not to make Halloween costumes this year and to make my life easy since I have a tiny baby so I influenced all the kids to be costumes we had on hand or ones we could borrow. MC1 just read Harry Potter 1 and 2 so he wanted to be Harry Potter. We convinced him he made a better Ron Weasley.
Then we convinced GC1 to be Annie since my friend had a Annie costume. We watched the movie and everything. She loved it. On Halloween night she said as she was leaving, "In the movie she's happy so I have to be happy!" She was determined to dress up EXACTLY like Annie down to the socks.
MC2 was a harder sell. I have a Bam Bam costume for a three year old that no one has ever worn. When I made it MC1 refused to wear it and MC2 hates dressing up period so I knew this year would be hard. We needed something simple that would be easier to win him over with.
Then I saw this idea for a minion hat on a blog and found a tutorial for it on YouTube. I've only ever crocheted a scarf so after a pep talk from my sister I decided to try it. It was great because it only requires a hat and overalls. After an hour and almost tears I finally got the first row done and then it was easy except for the sizing. The first two hats turned out too big for the baby and MC2 so MC2 got the baby's hat and I made her another one. Long story short, I ended up with four hats. Too bad I hadn't thought of this idea in the first place. Gru would have been easy too, but maybe next year right? Although the kids have already decided what they are going to be next year. MC1 is going to be Hawkeye (the Avenger) and GC1 is going to be a pink cat. We'll see next October what they want to be then.
We had a Trunk or Treat with the ward on Wednesday and the kids had a ball. Then we had Trick or Treating Thursday and a Halloween party for MC2's preschool group Friday. The kids didn't have school which was AWESOME planning on the school district's part so everyone got to go. Pictures below.
Brent said it was interesting the demographic that responded to each costume. Old people LOVED the Girl Child's costume and younger people and teenagers loved MC2's. Everyone thought MC1 was Harry Potter even though he doesn't have a scar or black hair. Really people.
MC2 was excited about getting candy and wasn't even hard to get to wear his costume because he knew he would get candy. It was nice that it was really just a hat.
This girl did not like her hat, but she hardly wore it. She spent both nights bundled up so much people could hardly see her. She and I passed out candy at home covered in blankets. A little girl did ask to peek at her though and kissed her on the forehead!
We got WAY too much candy this year. I froze a bag and stashed another one for gingerbread houses and we still have tons!
Here is everyone with their pumpkins.
Brent got sick the day of Halloween but he said he would rather get more sick than miss trick or treating with the kids.
This is how the baby spent Halloween.
Eating the stash.
This is the preschool party. MC2 has an ear infection and is on antibiotics but it hit his other ear and he started feeling yucky so we went home early. But I had the genius idea of doing the Halloween party based on the five senses so we had cookie decorating (taste), mystery boxes (touch), mystery bags (smell), and a dance party (sound).
I love Halloween, but I have to say my thought of the evening after passing out candy is: if you are too cool to say "trick or treat" you are too old to get candy.



























2 comments:
I kept telling kids who just held out their bags without saying anything, "what do you say???" some ended up saying, "please?" Honestly...and I'm shocked people didn't get Ron's costume. Everyone looks adorable.
Alan and I are both impressed with your hats. Also, I love Ally's costume.
Post a Comment