Sunday, October 13, 2013

Starving Baby

Its hard to find time to do any typing right now, but Brent is holding the baby so this is my chance.  

Here is an update on the baby.  She is really a great little baby, but most newborns are really.  If they don't eat, sleep, and poop ALL the time then something has got to be wrong, so that is what she did for the first two weeks of life and I didn't think anything was abnormal.  In fact she was sleeping six hour chunks at night and I was in heaven.  Then we had her two week appointment and found out she hadn't gained ANY weight!  Zero!  She weighed less than when she was born but was the same as when we left the hospital.  I was horrified.  How had this happened?  I was starving my baby!  And yet she had been eating a lot.  Every two or three hours except for her big chunk of sleep at night.  So the doctor gain me some suggestions and said I had to start setting my alarm at night, blah blah blah, and then made me come back two days later for a weight check.  Yeah.  

So for the next two days I fed the baby and fed her some more and once I started feeding her tons she 1-started spitting up (which she hadn't before) and 2- stopped sleeping so great.  So apparently a well fed baby doesn't sleep well.  Great.  I even supplemented with formula because apparently I'm not producing enough milk.  The doctor also wanted me to start pumping.  So I'm supposed to feed the baby and then pump.  Who has time for that?!  I'm already sitting feeding the baby 1/2 my day and I can't spend the other 1/2 pumping.  So I really only pump when Brent is home.  

So two days later I drag all of my children (they only had really bad times for me to come check her weight) to the doctor.  The older two have the after school grumps, MC2 fell asleep on the way to the doctor, and the baby is starving.  I was so glad to be there, let me tell you.  But the good news is the baby had gained 2 1/2 ounces which sounds pitiful but apparently is impressive.  But the doctor made me come back again a week later for another weight check just to be sure.  So another week later I drag all four kids again to the doctor and while waiting this little girl with a plague cough keeps coughing on my children.  She doesn't cover her mouth and I was torn between being a nice person and yelling at my children to sit as far away from that girl as they can!  The whole time I was thinking, "We are all getting some horrible sickness right now that will be passed to the baby!"  

Anyway, the baby had gained another whopping six ounces so we didn't have to come back again.  I think I would have refused anyway, so its good the doctor didn't ask for us to come again.  We all got the flu vaccine but I fear we got it 10 minutes too late.  



No comments: